Thursday, August 6, 2009

Zucchini Appetizer

This should be called Zucchini "Appetizer" actually, because out of all the times I've had it, I'm not sure it has ever been served to me as an appetizer. I remember once my mom brought it to a pot luck picnic and perhaps it was considered an appetizer there, but it was probably closer to a side dish than anything else. When my mom served it to us, we would have it for dinner or sometimes lunch, but never as an appetizer. So let's just call it Zucchini Thingi or Zucchini Casserole and be happy. Kay? Kay.

This dish is great and can be served, hot, warm, or cold. Depends on your preference. It works great as a leftover and can be heated in the microwave really easily.

Pretend this photo also includes 5 small zucchini and 1/2 an onion. What it does include is vegetable oil, parsley, oregano, Bisquick, seasoned salt, garlic, and eggs.

What you need to do is mix together all of the non-zucchini ingredients first. This includes 1 cup Bisquick, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, two tablespoons parsley, 1 clove garlic, pressed, 1/3 cup vegetable oil, and 4 eggs slightly beaten. After that is all mixed together, throw in 3 cups of thinly-sliced zucchini (from 4-5 small zucchini).

Now start mixing it all together.

At this point it is looking pretty much done. However, what I didn't know at this time was that I forgot to add the oil. So I threw it in the oven for about 2 minutes and then panicked and took it out, put it into a new bowl, added the oil, and then threw it back in. Oops.

Spread it all out in a greased 9x13 baking dish. There is a whole lot of zucchini in here, but the rest of the mixture puffs up a bit so it doesn't seem so overwhelming.

Now top it all off with 1/2 cup of grated parmesan. This will give it a nice crust. Now toss it in the oven at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

Here it is fresh outta the oven! And you're dying to eat a huge piece, but you can't because 15 people are about to ring your doorbell.

I served it warm/cool in already cut-up pieces. If I were just making this for John and I, I would leave it all in the pan and serve it lasagna-style.

And to finish it all up, here is a picture of me and the woman who gave me the recipe, my mom. We're sitting on the roots of a huge redwood tree. HUGE.

And here we are in front of the Golden Gate Bridge. Classic SF shot.

Now for the full recipe...

Zucchini "Appetizer"
3 cups thinly sliced zucchini (4-5 small)
1 cup Bisquick
1 teaspoon seasoned salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
2 tablespoons parsley
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 clove garlic, pressed
1/3 cup vegetable oil
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1/2 cup parmesan

Spray or grease a 9x13 baking dish. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Mix together in large mixing bowl 1 cup Bisquick, 1 teaspoon seasoned salt, 1/2 teaspoon oregano, 2 tablespoons parsley, 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, 1 clove garlic, pressed, 4 eggs slightly beaten and 1/3 cup vegetable oil (don't forget the oil like I did). Now fold in 3 cups of thinly sliced zucchini. Spread in 9x13 pan and top with 1/2 cup grated parmesan. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot, warm, or cold - any way you like!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails