Friday, August 7, 2009

Kathy & Julia

I spent most of my free time today reading Julia Child's autobiography, My Life in France. The book depicts Julia Child falling in love with food, learning how to cook French cuisine, and writing her first cookbook, Mastering the Art of French Cooking. She recounts in detail many of the wonderful meals she had abroad, and let me tell you, this book will make you hungry. It will also make you wish you knew how to cook French food. And then you will start to feel inadequate. I should warn you, I have Mastering upstairs...taunting me. I will of course let you know if I try any of the recipes, but most of them seem way out of my league.

I was hoping to finish the autobiography before I saw Julie & Julia tonight, but alas, I only got to page 200 out of 300. The movie was awesome and is making me even more obsessed with Julia Child and food (and also Meryl Streep - doesn't everyone just love her?). It was funny to see a movie about food blogging now that it's my new hobby. Some of the movie hit home - the staying up at night blogging surrounded by the glow of a laptop - but most of it wasn't so parallel - the making anything French.

Let me know what you guys think of the movie. Also, how can I find a way to watch those old Julia Child TV shows???

Update: Apparently you can watch some Julia Child videos on the PBS website here.

3 comments:

  1. I would have believed you even if I hadn't seen the tickets.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love this one of her omelette technique

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmvfUKwBrg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Dan Aykroyd really does sound like her when he does that impersonation. Have you ever tried making an omelette like this?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails