Saturday, August 29, 2009

The Secret to Saving Your Berries

After reading this article in the NYTimes, I figured it was time to share with you my trick (which I definitely read about somewhere, but now I forget where) for getting your berries to last without spoiling. I buy a lot of berries - mostly raspberries and blueberries, though sometimes strawberries too (blackberries are too tart for me). Blueberries haven't given me the same trouble as raspberries, so I rarely do this trick for them. If you buy raspberries though, I'm sure you've had them spoil on you...and quick. How heartbreaking. Since I've started doing this trick, though, they will last a week in the fridge! Unheard of! I like to put them in my oatmeal in the morning, so I need the suckers to last that long. All you have to do is put them unwashed on a paper towel atop a large plate. Spread them out as much as possible, but having a few double-layered will not ruin anything. Now just wrap the plate in plastic wrap and place it in the fridge and you're good to go. Now you don't have to be afraid of buying that big pack of raspberries at Costco anymore. I mention Costco a lot on this blog. They should start paying me.

2 comments:

  1. Blueberries are also REALLY good frozen. They don't freeze into little balls. Instead, they get slushy. You can easily bite through them. SO GOOD. And, while Costco is awesome, do they have any farms by you? You can usually get a phenomenal deal on berries at a local farm for flats. Well... up here. I don't know about down there. When I lived in the bay area, I was carless, so that limited things....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately, there aren't any farms close to where I live. Though often when my husband and I take trips to the beach we pass farms selling berries and things. Next time I'll have to stop. My favorite stand at the farmers market has a good deal on raspberries usually, but I wasn't able to go this past week because I was out of town.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails