Saturday, December 5, 2009

Sugar Pie (Honey Bunch)



Sugar pie, honey bunch, you know that I love you!  I can't help myself.  I love you and nobody else!  I think most of my readers are much more familiar with The Temptations version of "sugar pie" than of the one you actually eat.  But let me tell you, eating a sugar pie is far more fun than singing about one. 

Apparently a sugar pie is a real thing.  Once I heard such a thing existed, I broke out my sugar and made one.  Okay, maybe not that quickly.  But it did immediately go into my list of "Things to Make" in gmail that gets longer by the day.

This pie was really delicious.  It's almost like a non-pumpkin pumpkin pie.  It has the same texture and basic flavor as a pumpkin pie, yet more of a brown sugar flavor (and obviously no pumpkin flavor).  It tastes amazing warm or cold, and I prefer to eat it the same way I eat my pumpkin pie - topped with whipped cream. 


You first add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg to a saucepan.  Mix well.  No bowls were sullied in the making of this recipe. 


To the saucepan add 3 eggs and 1 egg yolk and combine well with a whisk.  Slowly stir in 2 cups of evaporated milk.  Turn the burner to medium and cook mixture until it thickens and bubbles (about 7 minutes). 
 

Then remove from heat and add 3 tablespoons room temperature butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla.


Pour the filling into a prepared pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes (until a knife comes out clean).

The whipped cream is this pie's crowning glory.  I highly recommend it to anyone who likes pumpkin pie - especially if canned pumpkin is no longer in season (ever notice how even though it is canned, stores only feel like stocking pumpkin for 3 months out of the year).  Oh and as for the ongoing Kitchen Chronicles going down in my house, I also made this pie crust from scratch (not the kind that requires rolling though). 

Sugar Pie
By Joy the Baker

1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
3 eggs
1 egg yolk
2 cups evaporated milk
3 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  To a saucepan add 1 cup sugar, 1 cup brown sugar, 4 tablespoons cornstarch, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg.  Combine well.  Add 3 eggs and one egg yolk and mix well with a whisk.  Slowly stir in the condensed milk until well blended.  Turn the burner to medium and heat ingredients, stirring constantly until it thickens and bubbles - about 7 minutes.  Remove the pan from heat, and mix in 3 tablespoons butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla.  Pour into a prepared pie crust and bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes (until a knife inserted comes out clean).  Enjoy warm of cold!

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to use this as my favorite recipe for PW's giveaway today. not that i've tried it, but it looks delicious and it seems better to give her something from someone else's blog. =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails