Sunday, November 15, 2009

Veggie Frittata


So when you bake as much as I do (anyone?  anyone?), you end up buying a lot of eggs.  As I've mentioned before, eggs that are a couple of weeks old shouldn't really be used for baking anymore because the yolks have shrunk (I almost wrote "shrinked").  These slightly elderly eggs are great for scrambled eggs and also frittatas.  Never made a frittata before?  Well it is known as the best way to use up all of your eggs and cook breakfast/brunch/lunch/or dinner.  We recently had it for dinner because I had 16 eggs in the fridge.  16 eggs, how is that possible you ask?  When I know I have some serious baking to attend to I often will buy new eggs even if I have some old ones so that I can make sure my baking will turn out better.  Hence the 16 eggs.  A frittata uses 8 eggs, so I should probably make another one tomorrow.  It's super simple and really healthy, which is another reason I made it on Friday night since we were pressed for time before leaving for a party.   I wanted to avoid a heavy dinner since I had every intention of scarfing up plenty of wine, cheese, and the desserts I brought. 


I got this recipe from Animal Vegetable Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, which I highly recommend if you are looking for a great book to read.  Kingsolver chronicles her family's efforts to eat local for an entire year - mostly by growing their own food. 



Fritattas are a great way to use less desirable vegetables, like kale and swiss chard.  In fact I think the only way I've ever used either of those is in a frittata.  This time around, we just used up some leftover broccoli.  John didn't want cheese, so the cheesy half in the top picture is the extra brown side.  Next time you are looking to use up some eggs or make a quick healthy meal, look no further than a frittata.  


Veggie Frittata
From Animal Vegetable Miracle

8 eggs
1/2 cup milk
Olive oil for pan
Chopped vegetables - broccoli, swiss chard, and kale work great
Kosher salt
Pepper
Cheese, if you are so inclined

Preheat oven to broil.   Whisk together 8 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, kosher salt, and pepper.  Heat an ovenproof skillet with olive oil to medium heat.  Add egg mixture and set temperature to low.  Immediately add vegetables and mix to incorporate.  Add cheese if desired.  Cook until mostly set (about 15 minutes) and place in oven for 2-4 minutes until top is golden brown. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails