Thursday, November 19, 2009

Apple Crisp


I haven't always been adept in the kitchen, but luckily this crisp recipe is so easy that even my former self could pull it off.  John can attest that this used to be the only dessert I could cook, but at least it was a good one to choose.  Apple crisp is the perfect fall dish when apples accost you at every corner in the grocery store.  I also think I'm not alone in the fact that I like to pretend unhealthy things are healthy, and this is the perfect example.  Look, Ma, I had fruit for dessert!


I made this recipe for just the two of us, so I cut it in half.  I'll describe the full recipe to you, though, since I trust your ability to halve a recipe more than I do your ability to double it. 

Here's what you need: 4 apples, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar (plus extra for apples), 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg, and 1/3 cup butter.

 
I used Gala apples this time because I got a million at Costco and wasn't thrilled how they tasted uncooked.  Ha!  Most apples work well with this - I suggest Granny Smith, Fuji, or Braeburn. 

 
In a bowl, combine 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, and 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats. 

 
Add 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon and 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg and combine with a fork.  Add 1/3 cup MELTED butter and mix together with a fork until your delicious crisp topping starts to look edible. 

 
I decided to use our new ramekins this time and placed one chopped and peeled apple in each one.  You can also use a bigger 8x8 pan (or so) if you make this recipe for 4 people.


Just because you only live once, add some extra brown sugar to the apples.

 
Add your lovely crisp topping to your ramekins (or whole pan worth of apples).  Place these beauties in a 350 degree oven for about 30 minutes until the topping starts to brown.

 
These crisps invade your kitchen with the most wonderful aroma. 

 
If you can calm down for a minute, try not to just eat the crisp immediately, and add a big fat scoop of vanilla ice cream to the top.  This is a classic dessert that takes almost no effort and is unbelievably delicious.  It's hard to mess up, I promise!  Make use of those extra couple of apples in your fridge that you had no intention of bringing to work as a snack anyway.

Apple Crisp
4 apples, chopped, peeled and cored
3/4 cup packed brown sugar, plus extra for apples
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup quick cooking oats
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix 3/4 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 cup quick cooking oats, 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a small bowl.  Peel, core, and chop 4 apples.  Place in an 8x8 pan (or four medium ramekins) and top the apples with some extra brown sugar.  Melt 1/3 cup butter in the microwave and add to the flour mixture.  Mix together with a fork until clumps form.  Place crisp topping on apples and bake for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees.  Top with vanilla ice cream and never look back!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails