Wednesday, October 21, 2009

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

I think people feel a sense of obligation to decorate their beach cottages with a fair amount of beach-themed things. Most likely this ends up consisting of a fair amount of kitschy beach items. The owners of the cottage we rented in Stinson had an almost schizophrenic sense of style. One moment they would decorate with beautiful shells from the beach, the next moment they would choose a metallic purple fuzzy blanket made only for magicians. So here it is. The good, the bad, and the ugly of our beach cottage.

Let's start with the good news...

Plenty of cute, bright-white sea accessories.

And a pretty little sailboat fits right in with the beach theme.

The corner of the kitchen housed a blue fishy and a beautiful glass bowl.

And there's nothing like a lone boat in beautiful ocean to make you feel serene.

The fireplace isn't really a decoration, but it was definitely our favorite thing. We had it blazing pretty much every moment we were in the cottage. John and I are definitely fireplace people.

And that was pretty much where the good decor ended.

The "bad" was made up of fake flower arrangements. Now, I have nothing against fake flowers, but there is a line. In a one bedroom cottage, one does not need half a dozen fake flower arrangements bombarding you at ever turn.

This one cramped my style while I was reading on the chaise lounge.

This haunted me from the back of the chair.

I honestly don't even remember where this one was situated, but I think it was in the bedroom. It would have been better situated in the trash.

There were two of these arrangements because one just wasn't enough! I told you I wasn't kidding about all the fake flowers.

And now for the "ugly." Take a deep breath and be prepared for this, folks.

This lovely tray sat on top of the fireplace in the center of the living room. Why on earth would you put something like this out? And so in your face?

This creepy mermaid-ish doll was hanging on the wall of the bedroom. Hanging a doll on the wall is weird enough, but then to have her be a weird sea queen just creeped us out.

And check out the number someone did on this table. It wouldn't have been so horrible if all the shells were still on it, but considering about 2/3 were missing, it just looked sad. Pathetic.

What is that purple blob you're wondering? Oh, it's just a metallic purple fuzzy blanket. I can pray it was on clearance or something, because there is clearly no other reason to buy this atrocity.

I saved the best for last, and aren't you glad? I really don't have words to describe this. It speaks for itself though, so I think you get the point.

2 comments:

  1. oh my. some of this is comic gold. and yes, you did save the best for last. tho i also laughed aloud at "It would have been best situated in the trash." well, glad you had a great getaway anyways! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg omg omg what is that mermaid thing??? I think you should've stolen it and mailed it to me for my birthday :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails