Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Seedy Underbelly

Have you ever wondered what it's like to be a food blogger?  You haven't?  Well, too bad, because I am too lazy to write up a real post.  The seedy underbelly of food blogging isn't the least bit seedy, of course, unless sesame crusted ahi is involved or something.

I photograph almost every new meal I make, unless I am fairly convinced it isn't going to taste great.  This doesn't mean that everything I cook makes it onto the blog.  There are three reasons something doesn't get posted: (1) the photographs didn't come out appealing, (2) I get bogged down posting other things and never get around to posting the recipe until I've already forgotten what tweaks I made, or (3) the food just didn't taste great.

If I can take the photos in natural light, they are guaranteed to look better than with a flash or under my kitchen lights.  I was really thrilled with the way this spinach mac and cheese looked in these photos, but sadly the recipe was just good, but not great.  I liked it, but I didn't love it, so I would never post it on the blog and encourage my readers to make something I wasn't fully behind.  My tastes might not always match up with yours, but I can promise I don't endorse something just so I can have something to post about.  (I have about 30 posts waiting in the wings already anyway!)

If it weren't for this blog, I can't imagine I would make the variety of foods that I do.  It's easy to get stuck in cooking ruts, but when you blog about what you cook, you are always on the lookout for new and interesting things to make.  I can almost guarantee I never would have fried zucchini chips or made my own almond bark if not for my little spot on the web.  I spend a lot of my free time (that not spent posting on my blog) looking at other food blogs, reading food magazines, and browsing cookbooks.  I'm always on the lookout for what to make next, and, frankly, there aren't enough hours in the day to let me get through my ever-expanding list of must-make recipes.

While dining at Chez Foodiebia you may be fortunate to eat something new or unique pretty often, but you will have to suffer through the inevitable photo shoot before you can dig in.  My mother taught me well, no one can have a bite to eat until the host has sat down and lifted her fork.  Well, you can bet I enforce this rule nightly, and poor John has to sit there with his food right under his nose while I compose my photo and snap off about 50 shots or so.  He moans and groans about this every time, but I don't think anyone feels sorry for the husband of a food blogger.

1 comment:

  1. love this post! i know you didn't actually tell us how to cook anything, but if i'm honest, i never actually cook anything anyways, and i like little looks into people's lives in their blogs.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails