Sunday, January 30, 2011

Tomatillo Salsa

After only discovering the joys of tomatillos two weeks ago, I made use of another pound on Saturday by making tomatillo salsa.  I'm single-handedly supporting the tomatillo farmers of California.  And yes, my obsession with Tex-Mex continues.  So long as the recipes keep impressing us, I will pretend I know what Tex-Mex is supposed to taste like.  So what if I've never been to Texas and I spent my childhood eating at Taco Bell?  What I do know is that this tomatillo salsa is one of the best I've ever had and it's incredibly simple to make.

I spend all week discussing with my friends over email the types of things I have cooked and will be cooking soon.  When I told people I was making tomatillo salsa, two people independently asked if I was roasting the tomatillos.  Luckily for me this recipe requires no roasting or anything fancy and tastes better than any tomatillo salsa I've tried before.  The freshness and simpleness is addictive and paired with some good chips or chicken tacos you can go through a huge amount in an evening.

I've had no problem finding tomatillos at Whole Foods, though I can't vouch for other stores.  Finding tomatillos is probably the most difficult part of this recipe, but an extra trip to the store is well worth it for this delicious treat.

Don't worry, Harper hasn't taken ill by eating tomatillo salsa, she is just damp and exhausted.  We had a fun doodle play date at the dog park today and were met with lots of mud puddles and rain.  Harper had a blast, but went through every last ounce of energy she had for the next few hours.  After a well-deserved bath she rested under the table in a towel big enough for three Harpers.

Tomatillo Salsa
Adapted from Homesick Texan

1 pound tomatillos (about 12-16), husked and cut in half [buy a few extra in case you buy some rotten ones]
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1-2 serrano chilis, stems and seeds removed (1 for mild, 2 for medium)
1/4 medium onion, chopped
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 tablespoon canola oil, for cooking salsa
Kosher salt, to taste (I used about half a tablespoon)

In a blender, puree the tomatillos, garlic, serrano chilis, onion, cumin, and lime juice until smooth.  Heat a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.  When warm, add 1 tablespoon canola oil and heat until warmed.  Pour in salsa and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  The salsa will change from bright green to a more olive color as it cooks.  Taste and add salt to your liking.  Serve warm or cold with lots of chips.

3 comments:

  1. I used two serranos, so if you add 3 it will be a hot salsa, or you could just add some of the seeds and ribs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor Harper she looks pooped. Speeaking of baths its time for Huffs bath.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails