Saturday, February 13, 2010

Pizza Fail

 
As I've mentioned, making pizza from scratch was on my to-do list for 2010.   Well I did it, but it was disgusting.  A pizza fail, if you will. 

  
I'm not sure if the dough itself was a problem, but it wasn't great.  I should have realized it wasn't my cup of tea when all the rave reviews mentioned that they made things like cheeseburger pizza.  Blech.  In retrospect, I definitely should have made a dough from a  blogger I trust and not just chosen this one that didn't require time to rise.  It probably would have been better with less dough so it would be crispy instead of...well, doughy.   

I even made the sauce from scratch.  I really went all out, only to be disappointed. 

 
My second mistake occurred when I put an entire pound of fresh mozzarella on the pizza.  I hate an overly cheesy pizza.  Detest.  Abhor.  

Don't get me wrong, I love cheese, but when you put too much mozzarella on pizza it just gets uber gooey and you can't taste anything else.  So onto a new recipe, less cheese, etc.  It's got to be better than this.

2 comments:

  1. Did you not cook the crust before you put the toppings on? That's what I have to do with all of my dough recipes. You don't need to let it rise much. I make my dough in my machine and the whole process takes 50 mins, start to finish, so there's little time to rise. When I made it by hand, it was the same thing. In fact, I used what I suspected was dead yeast a few weeks ago. While the bread hardly rose, it was really thin, which was pretty darn neat.

    So next time, just cook it. It should be put in the oven and cooked for about 15-20 minutes. Take it out then, check it to make sure it's where you want it to be (super light yellow, but done, that way there's room to cook it further to a golden when the toppings are on).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It appears you used fresh mozzarella and it has WAY more water in it and would slush up the dough. As Jessika said, cooking the crust a little ahead of time would help, but less and grated or minced mozzarella would help as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails