Tuesday, September 8, 2009

MY cookbooks

So since I'm always telling you guys about what cookbooks I get from the library, I figured I should also share with you which cookbooks I own. Do you care? Not really? Oh well.

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters
This is a non-cookbook cookbook. Alice Waters says in the beginning that the idea is what you memorize the "recipes" and just learn how to cook yourself. Some things in here are traditional "recipes" - things for cakes and such, but lots of other stuff just tells you how to cook types of meat perfectly or roast vegetables. I use this cookbook at lot and really trust her words of wisdom about what types of a certain vegetable are best and what kind of fish to use in a recipe, etc. This isn't something your mom probably needs since, well, most moms know how to cook pork chops how they prefer. But for people like me just learning how to cook pork chops in new ways, it is perfect. And best of all - it is simple, just like the title implies.

The New York Times Cook Book by Craig Claiborne
This is my most gourmet cookbook, and it was given to me by the Dr. Radin (Eve's mom) for my bridal shower (I asked for everyone's favorite books). I love this book and trust it completely since Dr. Radin uses it as a base for her own recipe creations. So far I've mostly used it for baking recipes (probably because I normally cook my meat pretty plainly), and it hasn't failed me yet!

Joy of Cooking by Irma Rombauer et al.
The ole classic. I got this for my bridal shower too from my Aunt Ginny. I have depended on this one a lot for real recipes and some general tips about cooking different meats and baking and things. The vegetarian chili recipe in here is amazing - one of the best I've ever tried. And without the tips I'm not sure how I would've survived my own Cooking 101 years.

Everyday Italian by Giada De Laurentiis
We got this as a wedding present, and it has the best pictures and the prettiest layout out of any cookbook we own. Makes this book lots of fun to browse through and get inspiration from. I made chicken milanese based on the pork milanese recipe in here, and it was great. I am a big Giada fan on the Food Network and really like her recipes.

Dining with the Birds
My Aunt Ginny also gave me this cookbook, which is a compilation of recipes from people affiliated with this nursery school. She sent my cousins here, taught here, and has been the director of this school - quite a tie with one school. Her recipes are included and she took the time to let me know which are her favorite recipes in the book, which I love. My favorite part of the book is her caesar salad recipe (which was written in by-hand in my copy), which I keep promising to share with you guys soon. Patience, my children.

Chez Panisse Vegetables by Alice Waters.
This is the latest addition to my collection. I got it for $1 at a yard sale down the street a couple of months back. So far I haven't tried any of the recipes, though I plan on it soon, since I am such a big Alice Waters fan.

My last and final "cookbook." Does everyone else have a huge pile of printed recipes from emails and websites? Now that I take my computer in the kitchen my pile has stopped growing at the alarming rate it once was, but it's still a bit large. Martha Stewart says you should make a binder to organize these types of recipes and put them in plastic sleeves to protect them from your messiness while cooking. Obviously, Martha has yet to influence my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails