Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sweet Pepper Soup

Karaoke is not my thing.  I have a huge embarrassment complex that does not make me compatible with getting up in front of people and belting out songs from the 80s.  My mom would say I need to "get over myself," but I haven't quite found a way to do that just yet.  

I actually don't mind that I'm karaoke adverse.  When I'm enjoying a night of karaoke viewing, I feel no pangs of jealousy at the people making fools of themselves (or for the few that actually do a good job).  It's who I am, and I embrace it.

John, on the other hand, does not either acknowledge that he is tone deaf or does not care.  He even has his very own karaoke songs he goes back to again and again.  His "good" ones, I suppose.
(I love you, honey!)

"Suspicious Minds" (originally sung by Elvis) is one of them.  It's a song I'm not sure I had ever heard until I heard John belting it out.  And the second is "Sweet Caroline."  A karaoke favorite for men who enjoy singing songs in one note.

This soup doesn't remind me of the Neil Diamond tune for being one-note, but rather because I can't see the title "Sweet Pepper Soup" without singing it to the tune of Sweet Caroline.  Sweet Pepper Soup.  Bum Bum Bum.  Good times never seemed so good.

This recipe requires sweet peppers, my friends.  That means no greenies allowed.  Red, yellow and orange peppers are your friends.  As well as fresh herbs - thyme and chives - to be exact.  No cream is necessary to make this soup bowl-lickin' good.  It comes together in a flash and tastes perfect alongside some crusty bread and butter.  Enjoy sitting next to your favorite karaoke singer.  Reachin' out, touchin' me, touchin' sooooooooup!

Sweet Pepper Soup
From Happy Yolks (adapted from The Art of Simple Food)

1 1/2 - 2 pounds of sweet peppers (red, yellow, and orange), seeds and veins removed
1 small hot red pepper (optional)
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1/2 cup brown rice (uncooked)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup chives, minced
salt and pepper, to taste

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a dutch oven.  When oil is heated, add in onion and peppers.  Saute for ten minutes until softened but not browned, stirring frequently.  Add garlic and thyme and cook for another minute or two.  Pour in stock and scrape the bottom of the pan to release the brown bits.  Stir in the rice and the apple cider vinegar.  Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to let the soup simmer for 25 minutes.  When everything is soft, puree in a blender or with an immersion blender.  Season with lots of salt and pepper.  Serve topped with chopped chives and with lots of bread.

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails