Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Strawberry Freezer Jam

I will try to refrain myself from making any "we be jammin'" jokes, but it is hard, my friends.  

Last weekend when my parents were visiting my mom came up with the brilliant idea of making freezer jam.  She is one smart lady, let me tell you.  

I've been eyeing all the cookbooks about canning and jams lately, but never quite took the plunge.

Little did I know that you can make jam without doing any of the real work of canning.  It's called freezer jam, people.

A batch of strawberry blueberry jam
You buy a packet of pectin at any grocery store and just follow the precise recipe provided (or else it won't gel).  The little insert will tell you for whatever type of fruit you're using how much fruit to use and how much sugar.  You mash up the fruit, boil the pectin packet with a little bit of water, and stir in the allotted sugar.  This jam is kept in the fridge or freezer, so you don't have to go through the expansive process of boiling the jars and the fruit.  

We bought half a flat of strawberries near closing time at the farmer market for $6.  What could be better than that?   (I sound like the Barefoot Contessa - How easy is that?)

It's the perfect time of year to turn your excess ripe fruit into freezer jam.  It tastes great on toast, in a sandwich, or even on some vanilla ice cream.  What other time of year are you plagued with too many strawberries, blueberries, and peaches?  Carpe fruitum!

3 comments:

  1. Had some of the strawberry jam this morning on an English muffin. Delish!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You might want to mention that two pictures are of strawberry-blueberry jam or they'll think we were doing something very strange!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that freezer jam even existed! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails