Friday, August 12, 2011

Five Things (From My Parents)

My parents went back to Virginia on Wednesday morning, and all I'm left with are a few pictures and several gifts to remember the visit by.  :)

When we were at Williams-Sonoma in Los Gatos, I stumbled upon Volumes 1-3 of Canal House Cooking...on sale!  These aren't even available at regular price anymore (you can find overpriced copies online), so finding them on sale is a feat.  My mom snatched them from my hands and walked up to the cash register, mumbling something about a Christmas or birthday gift.  Ha.

I love jewelry.  New. Old.  Big.  Little.  My mom often gives me jewelry she buys on trips and also pieces that were hers or from my grandmothers.  This particular fun necklace was my Nana's that she picked up on one of her world travels.  We will never know exactly where she bought it  (India?  China?), but when I wear it I will think of her.

I'm looking forward to using this bowl my parents picked up in the Ukraine for chilies and soups this winter.  You will be seeing pictures of it!

I had no idea the Ukraine would be chocked full of wooden gifts, but apparently it was.  Not many people can boast they have Ukrainian trivets or combs!

The perfect book for me - Ideas in Food - includes recipes and explanations for why they work.  As someone who understood chemistry many moons ago, I'm excited to read about the science behind food.  My parents know me so well.

I didn't even get a chance to post all of the wonderful things my parents gave me this visit.  It's a good thing I married someone who also spoils me or else I would be in for a rude awakening of what life in the real world is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails