Monday, November 15, 2010

Spicy Zucchini Slices

I cook dinner 5-6 nights a week, and most of those nights include one or two vegetables.  That's a lot of roasted vegetables in a week's time.  Don't get me wrong, I love roasted vegetables (which is why I make them that way instead of steaming or boiling them), but there can be too much of a good thing.  Occasionally I like to spice it up, literally and figuratively.

I find myself drawn to recipes for sides in cookbooks, probably because they are simple, but not too simple.  Since most nights I am cooking after a day of lawyering, I'm not looking for anything too fancy.  A recipe like this is different enough than my usual fare to get me excited to eat it and make it.  The thin slices fold delicately in your mouth and the butter and lemon balance perfectly with the chili flakes.

These zucchini slices don't have to be spicy, but I find myself craving spice more and more these days.  It's either from John's influence or because as I age my taste buds or failing me.  You decide.  If you don't want the dish to be spicy, just use 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes.  But if you want some kick at the end of your workday, here's your chance.

Spicy Zucchini Slices
Adapted from Cook with Jamie

3-4 small zucchini
Olive oil
1/2 - 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red chili flakes
2 cloves garlic, sliced
Kosher salt
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 tablespoon butter

Slice zucchini with a mandolin or a very sharp knife until under 1/4 inch thick.  Heat a large saute pan over high heat and pour in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil.  Add zucchini slices, red chili flakes (to your liking) and slices of garlic to oil and cook for 2-4 minutes until zucchini begin to brown.  Season with salt, lemon juice, and butter and cook for another two minutes.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds delish! My mom used to make something similar to this but with cucumber instead of zucchini - loved it!

    http://happensafterfive.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails