Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Garlic Vinaigrette

Every time I make my own salad dressing, I vow to never use the stuff out of the bottle again.  Sadly, Trader Joe's has continued to make $1.99 off of me every month or so, despite my repeated vows.  It takes less than five minutes to make salad dressing, yet that can seem like quite the impediment right before you serve dinner.    I may have finally solved my problem, because when you make the double batch of dressing, the next night you actually do have bottled dressing.  Hmm...maybe it's time for a quadruple batch?

Homemade salad dressing requires very few ingredients, usually olive oil, salt, and pepper plus a few other wild cards.  This dressing is a garlic vinaigrette, so we use a garlic clove and red wine vinegar for balance.

This recipe requires a mortar and pestle, but I think you could probably wing it with a spoon and a small bowl.  I have a tiny mortar and pestle (from my mom) that works perfectly.  I also have a tiny whisk that is my new favorite kitchen gadget - perfect for dressings and marinades.  Plus, all things tiny are more fun anyway.

I've never tasted a bottled salad dressing that takes half as good as homemade.  Not only does homemade taste better, but it's much healthier as well.  If you've ever read the back of a salad dressing bottle (after you get over the shock that water is the first ingredient), you will notice that olive oil is almost never in the list of ingredients.  Why use olive oil when you can use something cheaper?  Sigh.

Give yourself an extra five minutes to get dinner together tomorrow, and make your own garlic vinaigrette.  It's time to join me in my vow to stop paying for watery dressing!

Garlic Vinaigrette
From Alice Water's In The Green Kitchen

Makes 4 Servings

1 clove of garlic
2 large pinches kosher salt
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
Freshly ground black pepper
3-4 tablespoons olive oil

Peel a garlic clove and place it with two big pinches of kosher salt in a mortar.  Grind using a pestle until the garlic is pureed and no chunks remain.  Add 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar and grind in some black pepper. Allow the dressing to sit for 3 minutes or so and then whisk in 3-4 tablespoons olive oil.  Taste the dressing for seasoning and add in more salt, olive oil, or vinegar if off balance.  Toss with greens immediately before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails