Monday, May 16, 2011

Easiest Strawberry Ice Cream

It's ice cream season again, people.  This can't possibly make you as happy as it make me, because I am ecstatic.  Ice cream is one of my all-time favorite foods and it allows for almost endless possibilities in the kitchen with my handy-dandy ice cream machine.  John wishes I would stick to plain chocolate, but in the wonderful words of HIMYM..."No can dos-ville, babydoll!"

This year I decided to ease into ice cream making season by making a no-fuss ice cream recipe, probably one of my easiest ever.  There are no eggs, so no cooking is required - yippee!  There is no straining, because we just don't care enough to get the seeds out - hooray!  (Honestly the seeds aren't noticeable)  There are only five ingredients, and none of them are fancy - woohoo! 

We had this book growing up that my dad would read to me and my brother before bed - it was called Simple Pictures Are Best.  I can't remember the details of the book, but that saying has really resonated with me my whole life.  My mom and I would say it to each other when making posters for projects, hanging up frames on a wall, or drafting the family Christmas card letter.  Simple pictures are best, and that's why this ice cream is so perfect. 

There is a time and a place for fancy ice cream, but this classic recipe did the trick last weekend.  It tastes exactly like you want and imagine homemade strawberry ice cream to taste like.  Like summer.

So go buy the juiciest strawberries you can find and break out your ice cream maker that was collecting dust.  It's ice cream time!


Easiest Strawberry Ice Cream
From A Cozy Kitchen

1-1 1/4 pounds strawberries, leaves removed and halved if large
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 cups heavy cream

Place strawberries in a blender and puree until smooth.  Add sugar, lemon juice and salt to blender and mix a bit with a spatula.  Add the 2 cups cream to the blender and puree until smooth.  Cover and place blender bowl in fridge for 1-3 hours, until very cold.  Churn in ice cream machine according to instructions (~40 minutes on mine).  Place in freezer to firm and remove 10 minutes before scooping to allow it to soften.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails