Monday, August 2, 2010

Guacamole, Again

Do kids like guacamole?  I know as I kid, I sure didn't.  We went to our favorite Mexican restaurant, El Rodeo, on an almost weekly basis.  I used to devour basket after basket of chips and then order my favorite dish - nachos.  (Seriously.)  It came with lots of melted cheese, shredded chicken, refried beans, iceberg lettuce, and two items I promptly removed to my mom's plate: sour cream and guacamole.  Safe to say, nowadays I love both sour dream and guacamole.  I can't (or at least haven't tried to) make my own sour cream, but I do make my own guacamole.  And it is good.

I posted about guacamole in the early days of my blog, but I've since started adding garlic, so I thought I would post the recipe again.  If you like guacamole and haven't made it yourself, you'll be amazed at how easily it comes together.  Frankly, after making my own, I have a hard time eating the stuff they serve at restaurants a lot because it doesn't taste as fresh.  Sigh - these are my battles these days.

For simple tacos, I suggest topping corn tortillas with lots of guacamole, the meat of your choice (I used ground turkey), and freshly grated cheese.  The rest of the guacamole made its way into my belly via a tortilla chip conduit.  There's never enough ways to eat guacamole.

Guacamole
2 ripe avocados, peeled, pitted, and lightly mashed
1/2 cup minced onion
1 jalapeno chile, minced (remove seeds and ribs for less heat)
1 tomato, seeded and diced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Kosher salt to taste

Add 2 ripe avocados to a large bowl and mash to the consistency you prefer.  To the bowl add onion, jalapeno, tomato, cilantro, and lime juice. Season with salt, and mix to combine.

2 comments:

  1. I know one kid who REALLY likes guacamole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I refused to eat guacamole when I was little because it was green and mushy. I have since learned that I was depriving myself of yummy awesomeness for years and years!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails